The symposium on August 14 and 15 will commemorate the release of Elizabeth Bishop: The North Haven Journal, 1974–1979. The Symposium events will take place at Waterman’s Community Center, near the ferry dock on North Haven. In addition, the Library will display Elizabeth Bishop memorabilia throughout the summer. Tickets to the symposium are available here.
- Inaugural poet Richard Blanco
- Jonathan Galassi, President and publisher – Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- Filmmaker Barbara Hammer
- Author and scholar Megan Marshall
- Novelist, short story writer, and poet Susan Minot
- Poetry Society of American Executive Director Alice Quinn
- Poet and scholar Lloyd Schwartz
- Author and journalist Deborah Weisgall
The Schedule for the Symposium is:
Friday, August 14
6:00 pm to 7:00 pm: Opening Reception
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Film: Barbara Hammer’s Welcome to this House, a Film on Elizabeth Bishop
The film opened in May 2015 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. A review can be found here.
Saturday, August 15
9:00 am to 12:30 Participant Comments and Panel Discussion. Topics include:
- Elizabeth Bishop’s character and her contribution to American poetry
- Her relationship with Robert Lowell
- The role and influence of North Haven on her work
- The Art of Elizabeth Bishop
Information about transportation to North Haven and lodging can be found here.